StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan
Nightmares and Dreamscapes - Stephen King Stephen King talks a lot. I swear I only got through this one on sheer stubbornness. 14176 locations, what does that translate to in pages? 8000? Now I remember why I never used to read anthologies in tree book. Why do authors (or publishing houses, who knows which,) insist on putting so many short stories in a single volume, that you could easily use the tome to reinforce your home's retaining wall? I have at least two more of these bricks on the bookcase (one by Lewis Shiner that contains 41 stories, 41!) that, being realistic, I'll probably never read, unless I start lifting weights again. Kindle is trying to trick me... lulling me into a false sense of "you can doooo eeeeet! you can read this 8000 page book, doooo eeeet!" And when it's all said and done, in a year, I'll probably still only remember the same two stories from this collection that I remember from the last time I read it, 10 years ago. Those were: "Chattery Teeth" - which is so awesome because windup toys are the coolest ever, especially when they're on your side,and "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band" - because I think of it sometimes when I see one of those turnoffs from a state highway that goes off into the trees to some little town that nobody has ever heard of, and has a population of 100. It's like evil Sasquatch! Festival.This time I might also manage to remember "Dolan's Cadillac" because any horror story that depends on trajectory math, just tickles my not-so-inner nerd. There were a few other stories in here that I really liked, (even if I soon might not remember them,) but there were just so damn many. Not as many as Shiner's, but still enough that I'm mostly just relieved to shelve this and call it finished.