StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan
Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King Ages ago I read two stories by King: “Chattery Teeth” (which I persist in remembering as “Clackety Teeth,”) and “You Know They Got a Hell of a Band,” both from Nightmares and Dreamscapes. The stories stayed with me, but I don't recall reading anything else by King for many years, until a couple of years ago when I read The Gunslinger, whereupon I fell head over heels and went on a King-binge which included the rest of The Dark Tower series, Duma Key (the audiobook,) and the Marvel Comics series “The Dark Tower.” Full Dark, No Stars did not disappoint. In fact, I consumed it whole on a train trip to and from Seattle this last week. Sorry, scenery, you lose. Two of the stories: “1922,” and “Fair Extension,” were so evocative, not only did I turn back immediately and read parts of them again, but as soon as I arrived home, I dug out my Poe and reread “The Tell-Tale Heart,” and “The Monkey's Paw.” These are driven stories of getting-away-with-it... depending on your perspective. “Fair Extension,” in particular, adds a twist to the classic cosmic balance concept of “if something good happens to you, something bad must happen to someone else.” The deviation is chilling in its simplicity, and of all the stories in the volume, this is the one I can't stop thinking about.