StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan
House of Skin: Prize-Winning Stories - Kiana Davenport I picked up this anthology (ebook) on a whim, after reading a promotional blogpost. It's definitely outside my normal reading picks, but it was worth my time. Auntie talks good story.Davenport weaves wonderful imagery into these tales of love, despair, and decay. She has a strong “islander” voice, and anyone who has spent time listening to traditional storytellers knows that it's a distinctive quality that can't really be classified in any other way. In reading, I wondered repeatedly how each story would do as a podcast or audiobook. My opinion is that, given the right narrator match, they would be even more emotional and impactful than the written version. I could hear her storyteller's voice in my mind as I read. I'm not sure it would be honest to say I “liked” each of these stories, most of them left me feeling sad, some of them were just outright depressing, primarily because they were real and gritty. I couldn't help but wonder if these were stories from her imagination, or if she was relating real happenings. I had to read in small doses. But I also had to read.