StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan
The Unnamed - Joshua Ferris I read an excerpt of The Unnamed right before the release date (a year ago.) It had such a weird set-up, I couldn't get it out of my head, and I wanted to buy it so I could finish the story, and find out what the hell was wrong with the main character. Why did he wander? Was he possessed? did he have a disease? hidden superpowers? Well, I'm pleased to say I managed finally to borrow this ebook from the library and I didn't pay one dime for it. PHew. Then I read it like a maniac in two sittings. It was kind of short. Thank FSM. It wasn't a "strange disease" novel, or horror, or supernatural... it was just depressing. And you never really get told what the hell was wrong with the wandering man, you just have these caricatures of the fractured and suffering family. The story itself flipped between narrative, and a sort of schizophrenic watered down stream-of-consciousness. Is that it? was he schizophrenic? Unfortunately, you just never find out. OH! but a couple of his toes fall off, one is "mummified," and falls off in his sock. I liked that part. Ha! In fact, the whole story was somewhat like one of those made-for-TV, based-on-a-true-story movies from 15 years ago, that you stumble on when lying on the couch with a cold and flipping channels in the middle of the afternoon. Seriously? What else are you going to watch? And after you've seen the first 30 minutes, you must know how it ends, even if it stars Jennifer Love Spidereyes Hewitt. Except for the part where the TV show tries to give you a happy ending. In Unnamed, everybody gets old and dies in the end, with no answers. Very unsatisfying, and now I am sleep deprived. Damn you, OCD. I'm going to have to spend more time on my affirmations: "You are a good person. Good people don't have to finish bad books. You are a good person. Good people don't have to finish bad books. You..."