StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan
The Last Days of Jericho - Thomas Brookside I have a longstanding fascination with the so-called history of the Old Testament. In fact, the first question that ever caused me to examine my religion of birth was how a God of Love could command his servants to directly commit genocide by their own swords, down to every last child and animal, when He (biblically-speaking) had the power to exterminate by supernatural means, thus psychologically sparing his followers? This portrayal of the events in Joshua speaks to that speculation. The habiru are not passive participants in El's genocidal campaign, and Brookside doesn't shy away from portraying what extermination by the sword and the ax would really entail. (Thankfully, he doesn't indulge in gratuitous gruesomeness, simply the necessary depictions.) The confusion of the inhabitants and warriors of Yarich are well-drawn, but I appreciate the realism of these people not being completely innocent in their practices - the scene with the priest of Molech comes to mind as a good example of bronze-age barbarism and superstition. All in all, an engrossing and fast-paced read.