StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan
Daytripper - Fábio Moon, Gabriel Bá, Craig Thompson, Dave Stewart, Sean Konot Elegant, both in words and drawing. This story examines the value of a life, told through time bending the date of death of a newspaper obituary writer. Emotional on many levels, the piece that strikes me the hardest is how obituaries are for the living, as if we put a stationery seal on the envelope at the end of a loved one's life. Last summer, someone I once loved very much died. Here is his obituary:"*** was born on April 5, 1970 and passed away on Saturday, July 2, 2011.*** was a resident of San Francisco, California."What does that mean? I want a nice little bow. I want to know if he had children? Did he like his work? Did he find beauty in each day? Did he suffer, or pass peacefully at home surrounded by friends? What where his joys and personal demons? Did he ever think of me? Bá and Moon know you can't summarize a person's life in a tiny newspaper column, and they show us in each frame, through word and color and nuance, capturing the emotion of the life (and sometimes the detachment from emotion,) and reminding us that, no matter how gracefully written, you cannot distill the essence of living into a paragraph or two starting: "He was..."But it helps the living.