StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan
The Battle of Corrin  - Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson I started this installment in the Dune series about 5 years ago, and it has been sitting on the shelf with a bookmark about 200 pages from the end ever since. This trilogy is less compelling that the Houses trilogy, which is less rich than Frank Herbert's original series. I'm invested in the story though, so every so often I have a compulsion to continue reading, in spite of the lack of richness and meaning in Herbert the Younger's continuation of the series. Frank Herbert had so much to say regarding religion and faith, ecology, political machinations, indeed you could point an accusing finger at heinleinesque editorializing in the original series. (I must confess, I love these sections.) The trilogies, however, never realize the same heart that was invested in Dune,et al., and while it does more than a passable job of space opera/battle fiction, there always seems to be something missing. I keep reminding myself that Frank Herbert left copious notes on his continuing story ideas, and for this reason, I keep reading these. Sometimes I like to imagine that I see a bit of Frank peeking through these novels, especially where he has something potentially profound to observe on his original themes. My primary reason for diving in and finishing this, is to close that storyline in anticipation of Sisterhood. The Bene Gesserit threads are by far the most interesting to me, so I will be reading that one soon.