StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood I feel vaguely guilty about my opinions of this novel, considering that it seems to be generally regarded as a feminist classic. (Why yes, I would say I'm a feminist, thank you.) It's terribly unbelievable though, to me. Are we to accept that thousands of modern young women and educated men, would tolerate the complete eradication of their rights and freedoms, to the point of pretending not to know how to read, lying on their backs between the legs of rich old women and accepting the reproductive efforts of old men-- all in the (apparently) short span of less than five years?Sure there are whispers in the story of both personal and larger rebellion, but these seem like tokens, and the real intent is to have us believe that the most extreme example of police state and misogyny that the mind can conceive, is possible regardless of how quickly that state develops! Normally, I'm able to suspend my disbelief in order to enjoy nearly anything I watch or read, (I'm easy that way- Ha!) but with Handmaid I find my third voice constantly mocking me with her "Oh come ON! No WAY!"