StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan
Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back...And How You Can Too - Shauna James Ahern I really like this book. It's not a "how-to," that part is a bit misleading. It's an attitude adjustment. When you have first been hit with the wallop that says "the food that you eat everyday is killing you. You must stop NOW," it can be panic-inducing. Everything in your life must change, especially so if you are a foodie. Realizing that all of your wonderful cookbooks are designed for "normal" people, many of the ingredients in your own cupboard can harm you, lots of your signature recipes are now useless, and worst of all for me: I will never again be able to eat The Pioneer Woman's Carmel Apple Pull-Aparts. Oh loss of losses. Shauna, with her joy of food and ingredients, focuses primarily on making one realize that there is still a vast world of cuisine and fresh foods out there. Sure, I might miss warm Como Bread from Grand Central Bakery, but I can learn to feed myself with fresh farmers' market fare, craft oils, alternative breads. Other commenters have noted that this book reads a bit like a blog. I agree it could have used much tighter editing. It would also have been nice to see a slightly more cohesive recipe section, just to get a person started with a few more fresh but easily sourced ingredients. Read it like a story, not a guide, and remember to think about all the things you CAN eat.