StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane - Bagram Ibatoulline, Kate DiCamillo I liked this one, but didn't love it like The Magician's Elephant. The idea is interesting, but Edward just isn't a very compelling character. Yes, he's a china rabbit, and it's kind of the point that he's a very one-dimensional sort of first-class not-a-toy, and there's this whole story of him learning to not be so self-absorbed and learning to love, but...I'm not sure exactly why I didn't bond with the story. I adore DiCamillo's style. Every page is like a fairy tale. The writing flows beautifully, and I love the character sketches, the old fisherman and his wife were wonderful, as brief as their appearance was. But something about this story just felt kind of preachy. Maybe I would have liked it better had Edward come across as more curmudgeonly and less superior. Still, I'm now officially a fan of these stories, and have been scouring the library for more of these children's gems.