StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan
The Scarlet Pimpernel - Emmuska Orczy I would love to re-read this, but sadly, I think the evil book gnomes might steal some of my stars if I attempted it. I read this when I was a kid, and thereafter saw the movie (the 1982 version with Jane Seymour.) By that time, I'd already learned my snobbish book ways, and thought the movie was atrocious and could never compare to the book. (The book I had read when I was only 9 or so. I wonder how much of it I just didn't get, being a child and all. Ha!) But... some 18 years later I met and married a guy who tends to spout quotes from the movie version at unexpected moments - things about "fops," and "damned elusive Pimpernels...," he also having seen the movie at the impressionable age of not-quite-teenager.So through the lens of my historical rose colored glasses, I remember the balls (not those kind! the ones with the fancy gowns and cucumber sandwiches!) and the horses, and the intrigue, and the fact that I checked it out from the library at least 3 times before a librarian thought to tell my mother it might not be appropriate reading material.Curse you evil star-stealing book gnomes.