StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan
Grants Pass - Jennifer Brozek, Cherie Priest, Martin Livings, Seanan McGuire, Ed Greenwood, Carole Johnstone, Lee Clark Zumpe, Jay Lake, Pete Kempshall, Jeff Parish, Amanda Pillar, Stephanie Gunn, K.V. Taylor, Scott Almes, Shannon Page, James M. Sullivan, Kayley Allard, Ivan Ewert I had to finish this today so I could read something else and hopefully push this out of my brain. That should not be taken as a negative review. The stories in this anthology gave me nightmares, precisely because they were so incredibly believable. They're stories of people alone, together, making decisions for themselves, imposing them on others, greed, generosity, deception and innocence. Two of them (Hell's Bells, and Animal Husbandry,) were so chilling I found myself holding my breath. The thing that struck me the hardest, was how easy it would be for this to NOT be fiction. There were no zombies, no werewolves, no urban magic. The only monsters were of the human variety, full of reason and justification. The lines between survival and monstrosity are blurred. This ambiguity was impactful, and the realism remained intact. As with all anthologies, some stories resonated with me more than others, but as a whole, it's a very strong entry in post-apocalyptic fiction.