StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan
The Golden Acorn (The Adventures of Jack Brenin, #1) - Catherine  Cooper Why is it that some adults can write for children, and create a whole new world for the child to get lost in wonder, and others write as if "child" is synonymous with "stupid?" The entire time I was reading this, I felt like a Stepford mom was leaning over my shoulder reading, "and then, THIS happened, and then THIS happened, and THEN do you KNOW what that means little girl? Well, I will just have to tell you! Wheeee!"The story's potential (and it wasn't a bad story,) was suffocated under this apparent assumption that the target reader would be a moderately dull-witted six year old, which is a shame. One of the most important things I look for in a children's book is whether I would enjoy reading it aloud to a child. There are brilliant books for this activity - The Hobbit, The Marvelous Land of Oz books, Dr. Seuss is just good laugh out loud fun, I'll even concede that Harry Potter seems like the read with children sort, even if it's not my personal cuppa. This book, however, in my opinion, would be painful. I'd never make it.