StaceyHH

Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan

American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot

American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot - Craig Ferguson I love Craig Ferguson. I remember watching him on The Drew Carey Show, when he played the douchey Mr. Nigel Wick. He made me laugh, but it was just a bit part, on a sitcom. I didn't even know his name, he was just Mr. Wick. When he started on The Late, Late Show, I used to watch him because he was funny and silly, and I was up late, and CoCo was grating on my last nerve. I didn't fall madly in love with him though, until February 20, 2007. That was the night he talked about Britney Spears, and why he wouldn't make fun of her during her spiral. It was so graceful and compassionate and... unexpected. Up until that moment, to me, he had been just another late-night comedian. But that night, watching him being human, I got the biggest celebrity crush I've ever had, before or since. I *heart* Craigy Ferguson.It's not much of a leap to guess that I adored this memoir. Nothing I could say about it would be unbiased. His voice comes through the pages, with a story so “everyman,” with his ups and downs, failures and luck, that you feel like you're reading (and worrying!) about your friends. You can't help but root for him, even (or especially) when you know how the story turned out.He discusses his alcoholism with honesty, sometimes funny, other times with the desperation he was feeling at the time. No glossing over the realities. Good for him. Of course, this is Craig Ferguson, and his weird little world; you've never read so many fart jokes in one place, unless you're reading Walter the Farting Dog. This is the measure of how smitten I am with Craig. I read his fart jokes. It must be the accent.