StaceyHH

Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan

Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall - I've been looking forward to reading this book ever since I took a crack at the Phillipa Gregory novels. I made it to page 71. 3rd person present tense? really? She reads until she doesn't understand what she is trying to do when she decides to use present tense. If she makes better use of her pronouns, especially the proper ones, maybe she will have a better chance of enjoying her writing and her confusion with her story can be minimized. As it is, she doesn't seem to think names (or quotation marks,) are necessary, and thus she has to exercise a great deal of rereading to determine who she is writing. Just say no.It's not so much the POV, as it is the utter lack of clarity regarding characters, time frames, conversations... the men sound like synopsis, the women sound like the men. The text is rife with allusion, and I wonder if the author meant the reader to have a professorial knowledge of the time period. About 60 pages in, there's a reference to his family being lost. (Assuming she is talking about Cromwell, because in the same paragraph she has another "his" character.) It seems to be an important sentence, but there's no explanation anywhere in the surrounding pages, and it doesn't seem like it's supposed to be foreshadowing or a surprise to be explained later. So what gives? Is the answer in page 400? So I hopped over to Wikipedia, and got the answer there. And read a bit about Cromwell and his wife, kids, King Nasty Pants, and figured that was enough. Moving on.