StaceyHH

Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan

Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files

Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files - The most important thing is that I got my Harry Dresden "fix." Everytime I read one of these books, I tear through it like a hyperactive child in a bulk candy story. Well, this anthology, the thing that is supposed to get me to the next release... it was okay. Some of the stories were better than others. "Aftermath," the anticipated novella told right after the ending of Changes, was a disappointment. The story itself was a typical Dresden universe tale, with the requisite slime, kicking, intrigue and bad guys. Sadly, Murphy's voice sounded exactly like Dresden. She had the exact same self-deprecating tone, same observations, same descriptions of events; the only thing that was substantially different is that she didn't say "Hell's Bells" every third page. *sigh* C'mon people, learn to swear!The rest of the stories were a mixed bag, one was the first Dresden story Butcher ever wrote, and as such, it was rough, but entertaining. All (except "Aftermath") were released in prior anthologies, or on the web, prior to Side Jobs, with the exception of "Back-up," which was originally a very limited release from Subterranean Press.Readers should note that if you are not entirely caught up on the series, there are spoilers galore throughout the collection, especially in "Aftermath." If you are enthusiastic about The Dresden Files, DO NOT READ this one until you have finished all the regular novels. File this one under "Guilty Pleasures," (for which I still need to make a shelf,) and I'm glad I was able to borrow it from a friend. This assuages my guilt over being a fangirl for one of the most chauvinistic (but in a "nice" way,) popular characters in fiction.