StaceyHH

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan

A Red Herring without Mustard (Flavia de Luce Series #3)

A Red Herring Without Mustard - Alan Bradley Oh Flavia, you poor, silly child.I just love Flavia, with her "I'm so clever" attitude, and her youthful misinterpretation of all the adults around her. Bradley does a wonderful job, as usual, of portraying Flavia as an obnoxious, precocious and neglected little girl, who thinks she knows all-sees all, but is still just a child. There's still a mystery concerning her mother, I suppose Bradley isn't going to hand us that one anytime soon. In the meantime, he gives us another dead body, more chemicals, more trouble for Flavia to get up to, and more adults who Flavia sees as far less intelligent than she is, but the reader knows they are seeing a lonely, motherless girl with very little direction or supervision.Flavia's narrative amuses me throughout the story, both with her observations, and with what she is clearly misinterpreting. Still, it's not all lightness and laughs, through these three books, the story has gotten deeper, and you begin to get a little bigger picture of a very sad little girl who uses these "adventures" as an escape. Very well done, and I can't wait for the next one.