StaceyHH

Susanna Clarke
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Reza Aslan

The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind - Lucia Graves, Carlos Ruiz Zafón Another recommendation from a friend, I devoured this one in just a couple of evenings, at the expense of sleep. It has been awhile since I've sacrificed shut-eye for a good story. The writing is very beautiful, but doesn't make you eat your veggies before getting to dessert. The action and suspense is driven, and even though I was pretty sure I had elements of the mystery figured out at various points (and I did!) I was never completely sure. This makes the reveals fun in a "I was right!" sort of way instead of "I knew it, that's sooooo obvious." I think this is how a good mystery should be - enough clues to work it out, but not so many that there's no payoff, and neither should one be blindsided by a reveal that is completely unsupported by clues. This is a dumb review (don't have time or inclination for a proper one,) and is not expressing how much I loved the writing itself, which flowed so well that it pulled me along hour by hour. If I could figure out a way that good writing could have the same effect on my skin as "beauty sleep," then I'd add this one to the list.